- The Library is often unstaffed: you use the library at your own risk. Please be careful on the upper floors and when using the staircases.
- Please use the seats provided and do not sit or lean on desks or on the balcony balustrades. The upper floors are solely for retrieving items for consultation.
- The library is ‘reference only’: you may not remove any items from the library. Please treat the collection with care and do not mark the books.
- Please respect other users of the library and do not disturb them.
- Covered drinks are permitted, but please do not bring food into the library.
- Wi-fi is provided throughout the library: you must abide by the JANET Acceptable Use Policy for internet use.
- We do not provide any copying or printing facilities. Please adhere to copyright legislation if taking photographs: you must ensure that
a) any copies are used only for non-commercial purposes or private study;
b) you do not supply copies to any other person;
c) to the best of your knowledge, no other person with whom you work or study has made or intends to make, at or about the same time as this request, a request for substantially the same material for substantially the same purpose;
d) you only make copies allowed by the ‘fair dealing’ provision of the relevant legislation.
For more detailed information see the Intellectual Property Office website.
- Please leave the Library and its facilities as you find them – place litter in the bins provided and leave the toilets tidy.
- It is your responsibility to ensure the door is firmly closed behind you and that the lights are turned off if you are the last to leave.
- Registration is only open to those over the age of 18. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult registered reader, and should be supervised at all times.
Library merchandise is available for sale – please contact a member of staff
Donations to the Library are welcome – please contact a member of staff or visit our Justgiving page.
The Library of Mistakes reserves the right to refuse entry to members who do not respect these rules.
The Library of Mistakes Course
The online version of our renowned course, is available for both finance professionals and nonprofessionals.
As featured in the Financial Times
In conjunction with Heriot-Watt University
Use the Library
We hold a selection of quirky curiosities and fine collection of books — all related to the ups and downs of financial markets and businesses throughout the years.
You can view a sample of the books (and more) by clicking the button below.